Tomonaga (Tomonaga@xtra.co.nz)
Tue, 05 Oct 1999 17:03:59 +1300

reika wrote:

> Tomonaga wrote:
> which part of NZ are you currently located?

I live in Christchurch.

> > The picture
> > of the airbrush cup with the clear liquid is demonstrating the cleaning
> > process after each use. The clear liquid is of course a thinner.
>
> yeah I used and cleaned my airbrush for the first time yesterday, what a
> nightmare. While we're talking about thinners, what is the composition
> of acrylic thinner? Rather than buy it, I figure I can just make some
> up bulk from galenicals from the pharmacy where my gf works.

Acrylic paints are basically pigments bound and dispersed in a transparent
water emulsion of acrylic polymer resin. Personally, for thinning the paint
itself, I use water (you do have to be careful not to go overboard). If you
want to buy acrylic thinners in larger quantities your best bet is to go to
an art supplies shop and look at purchasing some 'acrylic medium' (used for
manipulating the texture of the paint). These come in liquid, gel and putty
form and come in much larger quantities than Tamiya thinners and I guess you
will save money in the long run. You can also get a thing called a 'acrylic
retarder' to slow down the drying process, if you find that the paint dries
too fast. An all purpose liquid called 'gloss,medium, and varnish' for mixing
paints and clear coating. You can find all sorts of interesting stuff to use
in modelmaking at an art supplies shop.

Tet