-Z- (Z@Gundam.Com)
Sun, 03 Oct 1999 14:44:17 -0700

At 22:02 10/3/1999 +0800, you wrote:
>Just finished doing the 1/144 and 1/100 versions of the Nu-Gundam. They
>are HUGE compared to other suits, UC/AC/AW...my question is, why was the
>Nu-Gundam that large? Was it because of the Psycommu equipment?

No, it was because of a trend toward ever-larger MS that continued until it
became clear that downsizing was the way to go, circa UC 0120.

The original RX-78-2 Gundam had an overall height of 18.5 meters, with a
head height of 18 meters. This has been kept consistently throughout the
One Year War era and pre-Z Gundam retcons of Gundam 0080, Gundam 0083 and
08th MS Team.

The RX-178 Gundam Mk.II had an overall height of 19.6 meters, with a head
height 18.5 meters.

The MSZ-006 Z-Gundam had an overall height of 19.85 meters.

The MSZ-006A1 Z-Plus Gundam had an overall height of 22.11 meters, with a
head height of 19.86 meters.

The MSZ-010 ZZ-Gundam had an overall height of 22.11 meters, with a head
height 19.86 meters. The same stats are given for the FA-010A Full-Armor
ZZ (FAZZ).

The MSZ-010S Enhanced ZZ-Gundam had an overall height of 23.14 meters, with
a head height of 19.86 meters.

The MSA-0011 S-Gundam had an overall height of 25.18 meters, with a head
height of 21.73 meters.

The ORX-013 Gundam Mk.V had an overall height of 25.42 meters, with a head
height of 22.8 meters.

The MWS-19051G D-Gundam had an overall height of 20.5 meters, with a head
height of 18.9 meters.

The RGX-D3 D-Gundam had an overall height of 21.2 meters, with a head
height of 19.5 meters.

The RX-93 Nu-Gundam had an overall height of 23 meters, with a head height
of 22 meters.

I don't have the specs for the post-CCA RX-105 Chi-Gundam of Hathaway's
Flash, but I'm given to understand that it was about 25 meters. On the
other hand, I do have specs for the A000-0001 Gaia Gear Alpha, which I
believe rightfully belongs to the post-CCA era and not circa UC 0203 as
given. It had an overall height of 22.7 meters, with a head height of 20.9
meters -- on par with the Nu-Gundam that, by my reckoning, came not more
than 20 years earlier.

The MS increased in width and depth proportional to the increase in height.
 The Nu-Gundam appears more massive than it actually is due to the Fin
Funnel system.

Enter the CV and SNRI and the subsequent downsizing of MS.

The F91 Gundam Formula-91 had a head height of 15.2 meters, half a head
shorter than the original Gundam.

The XM-X Crossbone Gundam had a head height of 15.9 meters.

The LM312V04 V-Gundam and LM312V06 V-Gundam Hexa both had a head height of
15.2 meters. This is 30 years after the F91.

The LM314V21 V2-Gundam had a head height of 15.5 meters.

So you see that we have ever-increasingly large Gundams for the first ten
years of the show's existence, followed by a drastic downsizing within two
years of the 10th anniversary. Bigger was considered better until economic
realities forced a reduction in the size of the models, which meant either
changing the scale of the model or the size of the modeled....

-Z-