Richie Ramos (gaijin@i-manila.com.ph)
Sun, 03 Oct 1999 05:41:07 +0800

> Haven't you realized that western cartoons lack a lot of
> things that made them less successful in comparison to
> anime in general? Now, you want anime to be stained w/
> such a thing? You know, the Japanese have a totally
> different culture than the Western people, and it shows
> in the kind of animation (story) they have. For example,
> Syd Mead's MS designs... eventhough Tomino approved of it, it was still
Syd who designed it. I mean, an apple
> will never be an orange no matter what you try to do to
> it. You see what I'm getting at? I guess part of what
> makes anime so great is the elements it has that we
> don't find in it's western counterparts. IMO, let's
> just leave it at that.

One thing to remember though...without the influx of new ideas or
influences, any movement/institution/system becomes vulnerable to being
outmoded. The fact that there have been some good cartoons like
Centurions, Spiral Zone, Gargoyles and the like, not to mention the anime
feel of Batman, Superman and the like in the newer cartoon versions does
give rise to the fact that cross-cultural influences are a good thing.
True, a lot of american cartoon shows are barely anything more than
merchandising for the toys, but i prefer to see the ones which are good,
and believe me, it's time that anime also look to external influences. A
good example of a nice cartoon scene that is american. In the advetnures
of Superman, when the teenaged clark just jumps off the cliff in
frustration and suddenly flies...that is one good scene! or the design of
the kryptonian technology...these are examples of good cartoon work.

 Look what a mess-up has become
> of the tokusasu series the US companies have adapted,
> Masked Rider... VR Troopers... Power Rangers... geez...
> If I'm not mistaken, they've also made a lot of lousy
> anime dubbing and adaptation in the past. What makes you think they'd
actually make a good anime when all these
> years they've known of anime and still refused to learn even a few good
points from it to improve their own?
>Kaworu Nagisa (aka Veilchen)

Yes, these series have become messed up, but then, these were brought in
for a very merhcandise based reason (robotech was actually a decent
rewriting and unification of a lot of anime series put together) . Also,
remember...anime was looked upon as inferior for a very long time in the
US, and is still not exactly a household thing. with a nation as large as
the US, change comes usually in a slow manner. I expect that as all
influences become more global, that there will be a blurring of the lines
of anime and western cartoons, which isn't such a bad thing.

"Magic is the hand of faith..."

Richard Ramos
Svengali, Artificer and Spellcrafter
ICQ#12914919