Edward Ju (gundam@loop.com)
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 16:02:00 -0700

On Fri, 1 Oct 1999 10:34:41, Alfred Urrutia wasted working hours discussing:

>Ah, I see. If he hasn't done it before (I won't include his design for
>the droid in "Short Circuit" because that movie was ass) then he's incapable
>of doing it ever, years of training or not. Sure, that's my experience with
>most draftsmen I've met, only capable of designing what they've designed
>before. I wonder how they bootstrapped themselves into that position in the
>first place?

I see we're just arguing for argument's sake now... so let's get to it.
Syd's designs for Short Circuit had to take into consideration of the need for
an actual, operational droid the props/effects guys have to build (no CG
luxury back then), so he did not have the kind of freedom to come up with
physically improbably designs as he had in Turn A, where the suits will be
animated, and no actual, operational mock-ups will be needed.

>> Did I say that the heel would fail? The point in bringing up the stress
>> that'd be centered on the pointy heels is that the ground would have to be
>> so tough, it would be virtually impossible for the Flat to be standing
>> without the four points on its feet sinking into the earth unless it is
>> standing on a reinforced metal surface.
>>

>Flip through the back half of the Gundam Mk-II/Super Gundam edition of the
>Gundam Weapons series. Roughly a third of those mechs have a foot that
>has either a heel or a front toe section that would sink into the earth
>if the mechs actually existed. Mead didn't design any of them so I guess
>*those* ones would function brilliantly. My point being that with all
>the leaps of faith and logic that any sci-fi show would have, even one
>like Gundam that tries to be realistic, you're bitching about the Turn
>A's *heel*? Not mech feet in general, but just that one?
>

>Alfred.

Let's not detract from the issue here. I am talking about the Flat, not the
Turn A, and I did not cite Zeta Gundam as a basis of comparison to support
my argument. -Z- is the most vocal supporter of Zeta, so don't put words in
my mouth now. But since we're arguing for argument's sake now, I will go for
it some more... most of the ones from Zeta you are looking at are probably
space combat ones, which did not have to fight within the restraints of the
atmosphere and earth gravity, thus their pointy feet is less of a problem
than for the Flat, which was designed to be entry-capable and therefore
should have taken such factors into consideration, despite its being a Moon
Race produced suit. If the Zeon engineers could build amphibious suits
when they've spent most of their lives in a space colony, then there is no
excuse for a Moon Race engineer to not be aware of the factors involved in
operating a suit within the earth atmosphere, if they were serious on
returning to earth and were prepared to fight for it.

Eddie

              .-/ Email: gundam@loop.com .-.
          _.-~ / _____ ______ __ _ _ _ ___ | ~-._
      /..:::::\ http://www.loop.com/~gundam /:::::..\
     \:::::-~ I am an authorized EarthLink Agent. Ask ~-:::::/
      \:-~ me how to switch from your ISP to EarthLink free! ~-:/