mirai yashima (mirai_yashima@hotmail.com)
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 20:43:57 EDT

>From: Mark Simmons <scorpio@best.com>
>
> Other than that, I don't think anybody on this list (myself included)
>really knows how it's being received by Japanese viewers, and almost
>nobody here has seen any of the spisodes (I've only seen the first two).
>Critiquing the designs and what we know third-hand about the story is all
>well and good, but don't mistake it for first-hand commentary based on
>actually watching the show. ;-)

I follow japan.anime.gundam closely, and although the first reaction to Turn
A was quite negative, most of the regulars have admitted to starting to get
used to, and even liking the design after a while. Most of the regulars
there are long time fans of Gundam, in their 20's and 30's, so it may not be
the most representative group of fans in Japan, but at any rate, it's at
least an opinion.

It was quite interesting to see them declaring they would NEVER buy a model
of such an ugly design, and eventually, one by one, they admitted to not
only buying it actually liking it.

There was also an initial flurry of negative comments about the artistic
style and the character designs, but most seem to also get used to this.
Most of the comments now are quite positive, especially when it comes to the
storyline.

mirai