Wed, 29 Sep 1999 15:26:20 -0400

>>When I think of Mobile Armor inevitably I think of Mobile Armor of OYW
>>vintage. Lets break MA down to its essential function: A cruiser sized
>>reactor core with big weapons wrapped around a bunch of big thruster. Its
>>relative small size comparing to a ship make it much faster and more
>>maneuverability as well as saving of space/weight on living quarter, life
>>support that ship must carry around. Yet it can carries just as much
>>firepower as a regular ship. Another consideration, MA can be designed to
>>have better armoring than ship, since it is a more compact machine, I-Field
>>generator became practical due to its small size.
>
>I suppose given these definitions that an MA is basically a miniature
>battleship then, much like the Battleship good ol' Worf pilots in DS9. For
>me, an MA's use has always been the fact that it is a terror
>weapon...imagine, someting about a third of the size of a battle ship
>(generally) knocking out fleet elements left and right. MA's were not
>menat, I think, to really battle MS's, but rather be considered as special
>fleet additions that can wreak havoc and destroy fleet lines.
>
>>Comparing to Mobile Suit, MA packs much more firepower and armor. Speed
>>wise, it also cannot compare with most off the MA.
>
>Of course....you have basically a battleship powersource moving something
>that is only a fraction of the size. that thing would be incredibly
>fast...I don't know about maneuvering though. And as for firepower, the
>inherent problem is the same as swatting a roach with a sledgehammer...the
>mega-weapon may not be useful in terms of single small targets. The armor
>is no contest.
>
>Of course, this all goes out the window if there's a Newtype involved.
>
>>But MA never caught on like MS did in UC. Why? Cost wise, a MA is a very
>>expensive piece of equipment. Most of the MA we saw in OYW are basically
>>proof of concept projects. Sure Zeon would like to have mass produce Big
>>Zam, but you can probably field several hundreds of Rick Dom for the price
>>of one Big Zam. And forget about Newtype MA, not only are they expensive,
>>but without a Newtype pilot, it will just be a expensive shuttle.
>
>EXACTLY. Unless they can come up with GM-like counterparts, like the
>Qubeley's mass-production kit version.
>
>>MA's size comparing to Mobile Suit is also another point against it. Most
>>MS carrying ship are simply not capable of also lugging a MA around. The
>>perfect example would be GP03, which has to be serviced outside of Albion.
>>[ Rodrick Su [ ]
>
>Yes, such MA's would need to be either independent ships in their own
>right, or have specialized carrier ships to service them -- which is more
>money spent.

I disagree that Cost is the only reason MA's never caught on. Though they were
fast they lacked one thing that MS's had; manueverablity the best way to
expain my point of view is this: A MA would be like a man on a bicycle with an
Uzi and an MS would be like a man walking with a 9mm. Though the guy on the
bike can travel farther and faster, he lacks the ability to dodge as well as
the man on foot and what if that MA loses ammo? Its as good as gone since it
also lacks Melee weapons. There are advantages to both of course Thats is why
the Z and ZZ series have Variable form MS's so that they can have the best of
both worlds, that ability to travel long distance like a MA and
mavueverability of an MS.

- Roger