Wed, 29 Sep 1999 11:32:44 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 29, 1:30pm, Richie Ramos wasted bandwidth discussing:
> Subject: Re: [gundam] cost effectiveness of Mobile Armor

> The only advantage I see in having a transformable system would be that no
> energy goes to using the limbs, thus devoting more energy for speed and
> weapons. Other than that, I think it's foolish. True, one could use an
> alternate form for other environments (like reentry or harsh atmospheres or
> underwater), but if that's the case, why not make hybrid forms which can be
> useful in specialized situations and still function reasonably well in
> normal conditions? That's why transformation always bugged me a bit. It
> looks great, overall, but it also seems like such a waste sometimes.

You might be confusing function with implementation. Transformation by
itself is not a waste. Just take a look at swing wing designs in F-14s.
Why not just make a high speed interceptor and a slower plane? Well, why
make two? I would think in zero-g that inertia would be a big factor in
maneuvering. Transforming into a compact center of gravity mode would
probably save energy when trying to change vectors, right? I mean in
terms of trying to negate rotations of an elongated mass as opposed to
more of a sherical shape. I may be way off there. And it could still
use whatever advantages a humanoid design might bring in cases where there
is gravity. The idea has been put forth that a humanoid design in and of
itself is a waste. That would imply that any transformation into a less
humanoid version (more compact, etc.) would become an advantage, right?
"Reasonably well" is good enough as a test but in battle nothing short
of "exceptional" will do, in the long run, so I can't see them developing
MAs or MSs that would sort of work in a fight.

Alfred.