Richie Ramos (gaijin@i-manila.com.ph)
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 13:21:36 +0800

>When I think of Mobile Armor inevitably I think of Mobile Armor of OYW
>vintage. Lets break MA down to its essential function: A cruiser sized
>reactor core with big weapons wrapped around a bunch of big thruster. Its
>relative small size comparing to a ship make it much faster and more
>maneuverability as well as saving of space/weight on living quarter, life
>support that ship must carry around. Yet it can carries just as much
>firepower as a regular ship. Another consideration, MA can be designed to
>have better armoring than ship, since it is a more compact machine, I-Field
>generator became practical due to its small size.

I suppose given these definitions that an MA is basically a miniature
battleship then, much like the Battleship good ol' Worf pilots in DS9. For
me, an MA's use has always been the fact that it is a terror
weapon...imagine, someting about a third of the size of a battle ship
(generally) knocking out fleet elements left and right. MA's were not
menat, I think, to really battle MS's, but rather be considered as special
fleet additions that can wreak havoc and destroy fleet lines.

>Comparing to Mobile Suit, MA packs much more firepower and armor. Speed
>wise, it also cannot compare with most off the MA.

Of course....you have basically a battleship powersource moving something
that is only a fraction of the size. that thing would be incredibly
fast...I don't know about maneuvering though. And as for firepower, the
inherent problem is the same as swatting a roach with a sledgehammer...the
mega-weapon may not be useful in terms of single small targets. The armor
is no contest.

Of course, this all goes out the window if there's a Newtype involved.

>But MA never caught on like MS did in UC. Why? Cost wise, a MA is a very
>expensive piece of equipment. Most of the MA we saw in OYW are basically
>proof of concept projects. Sure Zeon would like to have mass produce Big
>Zam, but you can probably field several hundreds of Rick Dom for the price
>of one Big Zam. And forget about Newtype MA, not only are they expensive,
>but without a Newtype pilot, it will just be a expensive shuttle.

EXACTLY. Unless they can come up with GM-like counterparts, like the
Qubeley's mass-production kit version.

>MA's size comparing to Mobile Suit is also another point against it. Most
>MS carrying ship are simply not capable of also lugging a MA around. The
>perfect example would be GP03, which has to be serviced outside of Albion.
>[ Rodrick Su [ ]

Yes, such MA's would need to be either independent ships in their own
right, or have specialized carrier ships to service them -- which is more
money spent.

"Magic is the hand of faith..."

Richard Ramos
Svengali, Artificer and Spellcrafter