-Z- (Z@Gundam.Com)
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 19:42:32 -0700

At 23:21 9/27/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>At 7:18 PM -0700 1999.9.27, -Z- wrote:
>>At 18:22 9/27/1999 +0800, you wrote:
>>> 0080 on the other hand, being an OVA, the books are just that much
>>>harder to get hold of. A lot of Gundam fans knows of ZZ, but some never
>>>heard of 0080.
>>
>>That has less to do with the popularity of the respective series than the
>>fact that Bandai apparently got out of the book tie-in business for awhile
>>between 1988 and 1990.
>
>This is decidely not the case. Bandai did not get out of the book tie-in
>business between 1988 and 1990, and the scarcity of 0080 books is not
>Bandai's doing. In fact, Bandai published more Gundam books between 1988
>and 1990 than any previous two years, and it published most of the 0080
>books that were released then.

You can almost count the 0080 books on one hand. There wasn't even a
Newtype 100% Collection for it. I've picked up more 0080-related books in
the last year than were published in the year that 0080 was produced.

And whether it was Bandai proper or a licensee, the fact remains that there
was next to nothing published. Standby OK, the Bandai Visual Comics, some
dribs and drabs in Pure Cyber Comics, some Entertainment Bibles, a
kiddified manga, an update to the MS Encyclopedia, yes -- but no Rapport
Deluxe, no Newtype 100% Collection, no Gundam Wars, no Animedia special, no
film comics worthy of the name, no Character or Mechanic Graffiti or any of
the other Usual Suspects.

>Actually, most of the books for ZZ were not published by Bandai at all. For
>example, it was Gakken, not Bandai, that published those two Animedia
>guides for Gundam ZZ.

>>I wonder if it was the failure of ZZ that soured them on book tie-ins...?
>
>Bandai published far more books about Gundam after Gundam ZZ than before.
>^^ (Bandai's ads from any issue of its own B-Club magazine during those
>years can attest to this.) The blame, if any, for the scarcity of books
>immediately after Gundam ZZ does not lie in Bandai, but other companies
>that did not pitch in during those years.

Again, I don't care whether it was Bandai or a licensee doing the
publishing. My point was and is that there seemed to be a moratorium on
publishing. It was a very lean time in terms of printed material.

Bandai owns the license and, for whatever reason, they didn't make the
usual deals. Maybe the Usual Suspects didn't chip in as expected, but
that's as much a failure of Bandai marketing as anything else. Either
Bandai wasn't fully behind it or they couldn't get the Usual Suspects to
get behind it, but it's ultimately their responsibility.

Oh, and lest anyone get the wrong idea, nice to have you back, Egan! Your
expertise has been sorely missed here.

-Z-