Matt Hanyok (mhanyo1@umbc.edu)
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 23:11:38 -0400

well guys, what I had originally considered to be "good luck" was not. My
manager at babbage's recently got back from the manager's conference, and
brought with him a lot of free stuff, one of the items of which was a copy
of Gundam 0079: The War For Earth.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS "GAME!" I'm sure some of you already know about it, but
in case you don't, it's pretty rank. It's an attempt at one of those
"interactive movie" games, using Quicktime VR and a standard "press button
now, press other button, move, oops you didn't press the right button,
boom!"

And it totally mangles the 0079 story. No mention of Amuro, Kai is a short,
plump asian guy who sounds like a surfer-dude, and then there's "Jose," the
pilot of the guncannon. Sure, there's a few good things going for it:
lengthy CG sequences of the Gundam that look pretty good, and real people as
actors (the fed/zeon uniforms looked pretty good, but char's outfit was just
bad), but man, am I glad I didn't pay for this one.

Anyhow, my question is: I know some of the Gundam games have been pretty bad
in the past, but at least they were console games, that actually used input
of some kind. Doesn't Bandai have some kind of "quality control" department?

(I swear, if Gundam 0079: Rise From The Ashes isn't a great game, I'm going
to swear off bandai games forever.)

Matt "pointless babble" Hanyok
http://deruberhanyok.freeservers.com/
"Amazing. You spoke all that but didn't actually say anything."