garrick lee (kapshiaw@yahoo.com)
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 18:48:57 -0700 (PDT)

--- Alfred Urrutia <Alfred.Urrutia@disney.com> wrote:
> On Sep 26, 2:11pm, zy.ho@txexmta4.amd.com wasted
> bandwidth discussing:
> > Subject: [gundam] Gundam FIX?
> > Does any one know anything about a book called
> Gundam FIX.
> > it is listed on HLJ for 4800 Yen.
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > zy
>

> It's a great book. It is a series of Photoshop (I
> think) comps of mechs
> in real backgrounds, sort of like stills from a live
> action movie. Some
> of the pics are beautiful. My favorite is a sunset
> shot of a ZZ Gundam
> flying towards the camera, rim lit orange. A few of
> the shots don't really
> work but the bulk look great. It's also about $60
> here. Worth it if you
> dream, as I do, of driving by, say, a military base
> and seeing a Destroid
> or GM type mech standing guard in case of attack. I
> had a vision just like
> that, on a very sleepy (took a 2 Contacts trying to
> kill off a sinus attack)
> drive to Cal State Northridge in my youth (I passed
> the Van Nuys airport and
> it has(d) a Reserve Wing there) where I could
> literally see a Tomohawk with
> it's arm cannons aimed skyward, just in case. I
> should have pulled over
> right there. Get the book, it's the closest thing
> to actually living in a
> world where those mechs exist.

i just bought that book a month ago. :)

just don't expect any close-up shots and glamorous,
slick-as-a-race-car detail in those pics. many are
dark, with lots of shadows. there are very few face
pics, and most the gundams are...sort of flying away,
looking away, walking away, moving away. it doesn't
help that katoki draws them from the oddest angles
imaginable -- which is appealing in a way.

-garrick