Kaworu Nagisa (17thangel@tokyo-3.com)
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 10:21:48 -0400

> You see the reason I favor the UC timeline is because that's the first show that caught my attention as a kid. Is not that I didn't try to appreciate the other spinoffs but after watching the first 12 episodes of gundam W, I felt that they ripped off some of elements found int the
original gundam's storyline. What really ticks me off is the abuse of using gundam designs for a dull story.

 IMO, the reason they made GW seem like a mere rip-off
 of the original UC series, is to bring the story to
 a target audience that would probably not appreciate
 the original series anymore. I think it is pretty
 obvious that G, W, and X had a younger generation
 as a target audience. And as you said, those series
 don't appeal much to you 'cause "you're not young
 anymore". The same goes for the younger generation;
 "they're not that old". You know what I'm getting
 at, right?

 Anyway, here's what the AC series' target audience
 appears to be:

  G = younger audiences and martial arts fanatics
  W = bishonen/yaoi fans
  X = an attempt to get the UC fans' attention by
      bringing in Newtypes to the story?

>For me alternative means a new design that doesn't necessary have to look like the old thing but having some hints of it. The best examples are, the colors of RX-78-2, the mustache symbolizing the v horn and the beam weapons found in Turn A. You said that they could just make a Zaku from gundarium and call it gundam. Well that is different from what I think. When we look at zaku the first thing that comes into our minds are the typical color schemes, the spikes and the pink monoeye.

 Yeah, but you said you liked it different if I'm not
 mistaken. After all, would the Turn-A still look like
 a Gundam if... like, the color schemes are changed
 into something other than the RX-78-2's colors? I
 don't think so....

>Turn A doesn't have those elements, it has the gundam colors and the horn to give you the impression of a gundam.

 Yeah... but just the colors...

> You said I'm a bit close minded, well yes in a certain way. The stories from UC timelines are very deep and that can appeal to the older audience. The new spinoffs (not counting turn A since they weren't done by Tomino)
just didn't have the good stories to catch the older and more mature generation. The content and subject matter int these new spinoffs was more like geared towards kiddie shows. I'm not young anymore, so the typical dragonball fighting style in g-gundam just throws me off.

 I think the producers of the AC series are more concerned
 with the prospects rather than the story itself... just
 my opinion.

>Turn A is different, yes. But let's not forget that the gundam designs are getting too repetitive and if you go to http://www.amotokyo.com/gundamhp/index.html you'll see the authors of the site saying it was a breakthrough with this new design. It might not be Syd's best designs, but hey at least it's original, so give him a break. And for those who don't know Syd Mead, he was the guy who designed the mechanics for Blade Runner and Aliens(yeah kick ass movie). So are you telling me this guy doesn't know how to design??

 I dunno... I haven't seen any of his original Gundam
 designs - that is, something he made without anyone
 like Tomino telling him to make it wacky or something.

>And it wasn't his decision to come up with a wacky design, if I remember correctly, it was Tomino's decision to come with such a wacky design. And Tomino is the man, it was his decision and I respect that. What's more important is if the stories are crap, no matter how good the designs are, it will eventually become degrading. In my graphic design class, my instructors said, " No matter how good or catchy your packaging is, if the product isn't good or it doesn't deliver the quality, then it won't get to the consumers." So in this case, Turn A is the packaging and the story is the actual product. So if the story do eventually fly, people will start to appreciate its design. Now take a look in the model magazines. What series of gundam models is Bandai making money from? The
UC timeline. Mainly from the old schoolers like OYW,Z, ZZ and CCA. So are they good designs?? Perhaps, but what I think it all comes down to the storylines. Those Series had some pretty good storylines and that's what captures peoples's heart. I mean look at The O or Biggro. Are those good designs?? But how come people still buys them like crazy?? It all comes down to the overall combination of story and design. If they both deliver then everything is heaven.

> Again I must stress out that I'm not bashing any G,W, or X fans out there, it's just that those designs dont' appeal to me due to the overall content. Now everyone must be thinking "So you're saying that if this story turns out
to be crap then you'll hate the design for sure?" The answer to that is no.
> Because I appreciate the daring move for a breakthrough. Or maybe because my art teachers moulded my thinking by stressing on originality or totally out there designs. UC timeline gundams will always be in my heart and it's that nostalgic feeling that really makes me to appreciate them. Everything else will be looked into the ever so unexpected future that awaits us.

 It's good to be original, but haven't you noticed? Even
 sentai and tokusatsu has the same themes repeated over
 and over again with just some innovations? I mean, it's
 tradition. A Gundam is a Gundam... it has features that
 set it apart from the other MS. And I guess that's how
 it was made possible to have so many different Gundams
 out there.

>P.S. I guess it's time for you people to bash this silly old crazie me ;p

 Nah... no reason to :)

Kaworu Nagisa (aka Veilchen)