Lim Jyue (lim_jyue@pacific.net.sg)
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 18:05:08 +0800

At 15:14 09/25/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>You seem to be subscribing to the "Short Attention Span Theater" Theory,

        [major snippage]

>I'd agree that Gundam 0080 is probably the shortest, sweetest intro to the
>UC world, but it's not necessarily the best or truest representation.
>Newtypes and all of the issues regarding them are totally absent, as are
>the background and extent of the War. Gundam 0083 at least touches upon

        Points taken, but without the Newtype-ideology (for the lack of a
better word) it might actually be easier for certain people to swallow -- I
personally still have problems with seeing certain Newtype powers,
especially Amuro's bouncing Axis power in CCA. (^_^)

        Still, F91 might be an interesting introduction. I never had that
good an impression of F91 MS as they tend to be too flashy for my liking. As
a consequence I didn't really following the storyline, but due to the
massive coverage by A-Club magazines on the story I can't help but know the
story.. =)

>We have a masked villain, a duel between a Gundam and a monster mobile armor,
>a horrific weapon of mass destruction, a reluctant hero, a nominal
>villain with high ideals, children in peril due to the sins of their fathers,
>Newtype manifestations, comrades in arms ... the works!

        Except for the Newtype manifestation, a lot of the other stuff is
covered by other ... more generic anime. Somehow, F91 just doesn't sit well
with me. I guess it's time to force myself to watch the show. =)

>(And it also serves as an intro to Crossbone Gundam, arguably Tomino's best
>work in the Gundam universe....)

        How so?

>They really worked hard on F91 and the level of detail in the backgrounds
>of the space colonies is incredible, but it was a flop and even
>AnimeVillage is loath to take a chance on it, despite having an official
>subtitled master in hand.

        I believe part of the problem was that 0083 came out at the same
time, correct? It doesn't really help boost your pitch for F91 when 0083 was
a nicely detailed, has lots of explosion, etc. etc. to grab attention.. =)

>So there you have it: compilation movies for those who can deal with old
>anime and F91, Z or V for those who can't, with F91 recommended for those
>with short attention spans....

        Interesting points.. anyone else has comments?