-Z- (Z@Gundam.Com)
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 17:30:12 -0700

At 21:13 9/25/1999 +0100, you wrote:
>In message <9c2ef0be.251e21a6@aol.com>, Enigma298@aol.com writes
> But I like the music. ^_^ Unfortunately, most of Gerry Andersons
>live action shows have suffered from comparisons with his puppets. But
>who cares, when you can have Thunderbird 2, an Angel Interceptor and
>(coolest of all) an Eagle instead? ^_^

In my opinion, the design of the Agua Verde transport ship piloted by
Bernie Wiseman (under the assumed identity of Walter Pederson) in Gundam
0080 is an homage to the Space: 1999 Eagle.

Gerry Anderson's Supermarionation also inspired Go Nagai's puppet series, X
Bomber, dubbed into English as Star Fleet. What goes around, comes around....

> I forgot a couple of other Gainax references to Anderson shows -
>anyone who has seen Nadia of the Mysterious Seas has already probably
>just about killed themselves laughing at the Thunderbirds parody that
>appears there, while the infamous Otaku No Video carries a handy
>reminder that a couple billion tons of lunar rock should no longer be
>hanging over our heads... ^_^

Some years ago, one of the Japanese comedy shows (Tunnels?) did a Saturday
Night Live style parody called Thumderdirds, in which live actors were made
up to look like the puppets and imitated their stilted movements.

And who could forget Dire Straits' music video of "Calling Elvis"?

-Z-