Kaworu Nagisa (17thangel@tokyo-3.com)
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 13:35:12 -0400

> Whew! Well, you asked for my gripes, you got 'em. From day to day,
>either ZZ or Gundam X might rank as my absolute least favorite Gundam
>series. But at least ZZ has a couple of enjoyable characters...

 Okay... but which is worse, X or Turn-A? What's up w/
 Turn-A anyway? It looks... kinda' different...

> Hm, depends. Translating the names of the actual attacks, like the
>Sekiha Tenkyouken, might be ill-advised; if memory serves, this is
>something like the Stonecutter's Fist or something, which lacks a certain
>poetry. But the verbal windup phrases, like "I'm gonna light you up with
>this here hand," work better if you understand what's being said.

 Actually, I think I have a better translation of Domon's
 earlier phrases than the ones he says in the local dub.

 In the local dubbing here, the Shining Finger translates
 into: "My hands light up, trembling and screaming to kill....". It is kinda ironic since the Gundam Fighters
 aren't supposed to kill the opponent (pilot) in the
 Gundam Fight. The "God Finger" phrase barely differs
 from that one too. In here, "Bakunetsu" is translated
 as "Super Heat". ^^;

 Hmm... it doesn't sound right even if the translation
 was done correctly. Especially when you say "kudake!"
 and "hisatsu!", it's kinda like shouting to your
 opponent; "I'll break you!", "you're finished!", right?
 It just loses feel of the original. I think I'll stick
 to the Japanese phrase... after all, Domon is Japanese.

Kaworu Nagisa (aka Veilchen)