Der UberHanyok (mhanyo1@umbc.edu)
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 12:26:24 -0400

> Which leads me to a question: In your opinion, which UC series is
> the best for introducing Gundam to a non-Gundam fan?

hmm, I'd go with either 0080 OR 0083. it depends on the person. Some of my
good friends have absolutely LOVED 0080 - as a matter of fact, we just
watched it last night. It's a short series, but it makes you think, just a
little bit. The first time I watched 0080 I thought it was half-decent, but
the complete gut-wrenching twist in the end left me going "whoah, GOOD OVA."

Tho, for most others, I'd pop in 0083 and say "ask me if you have any
questions." Reason being, I think it's a bit easier to get into a hardcore
sci-fi anime with a good story, without having that whole side-plot newtype
crap. (Don't get me wrong, it's cool and all, but it's too much for someone
who doesn't know anything about gundam.) Sure it's longer, but if they're
not interested by the end of the first tape, it's their loss. I figure 0083
will be more accepted by American audiences because of the lack of
"mystic"-type stuff.

Tough choice, but I really think that of the two, I'd go with 0080.
Completely NOT what you'd expect from "giant robot cartoons," it'd be a good
one to introduce someone to gundam. Or maybe 0083, because it's just such a
COOL series. Idunno, I'm pretty indecisive about it, I guess.

> uncomplicated story, rather than 0083, which has some... plot holes you
can
> walk a Dom through. =)
> Lim Jyue

Heh, I laughed so hard when I read this... great line, dude. heh, doms...

Matt "pointless babble" Hanyok
http://deruberhanyok.freeservers.com/
"Amazing. You spoke all that but didn't actually say anything."