garrick lee (kapshiaw@yahoo.com)
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 09:13:59 -0700 (PDT)

> Which leads me to a question: In your
> opinion, which UC series is
> the best for introducing Gundam to a non-Gundam fan?
>
> IMO, I'll say either 0080 or 0083, since the
> OYW, Z and ZZ are all a
> bit too long for introduction play, and CCA requires
> the viewer to at least
> know a bit of history.. =) I'll go with 0080, which
> has a nice,
> uncomplicated story, rather than 0083, which has
> some... plot holes you can
> walk a Dom through. =)

0080 is my choice. it blows away many misconceptions
of anime (not only gundam) -- namely the over-the-top
sexist and violence stereotypes of anime.

the story is down to earth and packs a punch in 3
short hours -- easily the length of any serious
live-action movie. the characters seem very real.
the kids are annoying in an endearing sort of way and
make you just say "yeah, i was like that when i was a
kid" (i personally drew a lot in class and played
video games when my mom wasn't around...heheh). chris
and bernie are one of the more outstanding 'tragic
couples'.

i liked that scene in 0083 though...

gato: "amateur!...you have to have something to fight
for, understand?"
uraki: "yes sir!"

-garrick