Yves Sakai (yves@hawaii.edu)
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 12:52:23 -1000

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, Der UberHanyok wrote:

> > Does anyone remember "Galaxy Rangers"? It's old, but I
> > tell you, the animation can beat the crap outta most of
> > their 90's cartoons. What I don't get is why they can't
> > make something as good or even better than that. The way
> > I see it, Japanese animation progresses while American
> > animation regresses... and they try to focus on GGIs.
>
> I vaguely remember "Ronin Warriors" as having extremely good animation. And
> I like the animation in the Batman/Superman series too. Like I said before,

It's really hard to say what is American animation and Japanese animation
anymore. Many of the American animation is farmed out to korea, china, the
phillipines, as well as japan. I don't know how much Japanese animation is
farmed out, but I do know that some is done is korea.

And I still think CG is animation so...

Some good animation that are american (semi at least): Batman/Superman,
Iron Giant, Beast Wars (animated in canada, but writers were based in
USA), Toy Story, Dexter's Laboratory, Starship Troopers (in fact, I like
this version better than the Japanese one), etc.

> I think CGI only really works well as special effects - it doesn't work
> right with cartoons as the ONLY method of art. (A few movies, as previously
> noted, have done the cartoon/CG mix pretty well.) Someone will prove me
> wrong one day, I'm sure, but until that day I'll stick to actual animation.

Dunno... I thought the animation in Toy Story, A Bug's Life, Antz, Reboot,
Beast Wars, and others I can't think of right now were pretty darn good. I
am interested in seeing ILM's Frankenstein and the Final Fantasy as well.
___