Yves Sakai (yves@hawaii.edu)
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 12:43:52 -1000

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Der UberHanyok wrote:

> > I grew up with the orginial Transformers and I thought Beast Wars was
> really
> > good.
> >
> > Aaron
>
> fair enough. I think it all comes down to a matter of taste - what aspects
> you liked most about the original shows.

Yup, it's pretty much all a matter of taste...

> Personally (I don't know if this is how it is for others), I'm a big fan of
> the actual animation. No matter how nice the CG looks, it won't ever be
> "animation." That was my favorite thing about the older shows. Even in newer
> series, movies, heck, even games (The Playstation 2 Gradius Video, for
> example), those are AWESOME graphics, but it's just not animation.

Oh I love hand drawn cel animation, don't get me wrong. However, I don't
think that the term "animation" refers only to that time. Take
"stop-motion" animation for instance. I think CG is animation... just not
hand drawn cel type...

> That just kills it for me. If I want CG, I'll watch Babylon 5. I think it's
> a nice thing to try out (like G-Saviour... whatever happened to that
> anyways?), but if the series was originally animated, there's a quality that
> can't be captured in computer graphics. (HAH! I brought it back on topic!)

Again, it's a matter of taste. Personally I like Beast Wars a lot better
than most of the original transformer stuff. I think it is how they write
it. If you watch some of the old transformers, you can see that the
animation suffered a lot throughout the series. Especially the newer stuff
with the Quintessons. Yikes. But the stories were interesting enough and
that kept me watching. On the flip side there is Donkey Kong (CG
animated). Bad stories, bad CG animation.
___