Kaworu Nagisa (17thangel@tokyo-3.com)
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 12:42:58 -0400

>Flipping through a recent issue of Toyfare today I found some news. First
>off they confirmed that Gundam models and toys will be available soon in test
>markets areas throughout the USA. And they also mentioned that the powers
>that be will be creating a new Robotech show due to premier in Fall 2000. I
>don't know much about the show other then the fact that it will be all CGI
>like Voltron, WAR Planets, etc. I don't know how it will fit into a
>timeline, but then again they managed to cram three unrelated shows together
>so anything is possible. My fear is that it will just be a half hour
>commercial for toys and not a good show. My other possible fear would be if
>they decided to introduce Gundam models to America by making a new CGI Gundam
>show. That could royally suck if done wrong.
>
>Jason

 IMO, you need not even fear for those things... rather,
 you should start worrying. I mean, look at Voltron. What
 the heck happened to Lothar!? Did he become a cyborg or
 something? The way I see it (I may be biased though),
 when a Japanese show becomes Americanized, it just
 becomes a total mess up of the original concept. What
 I think is that American TV shows end only when it
 loses it's popularity. It is then taken off the air
 and is sent into oblivion. Unlike anime, tokusatsu, and even drama/soap that has a definite story ending. Another thing I don't understand is why most of the Amercanized anime (e.g. Force Five) loses the vocals of the opening themesongs? Are they trying to stick into the kids' minds that they are the ones who made anime!?

 Oh my... I'm rambling. Anyway, back to the topic, why is
 it that Americans keep on making these *covers his mouth*
 CGI animations instead of improving the quality of their
 everyday cartoons? Is it an indirect way of saying that
 they can't make something of anime-quality so they try
 to show something "new" and "cool"? Tsk tsk...

 Does anyone remember "Galaxy Rangers"? It's old, but I
 tell you, the animation can beat the crap outta most of
 their 90's cartoons. What I don't get is why they can't
 make something as good or even better than that. The way
 I see it, Japanese animation progresses while American
 animation regresses... and they try to focus on GGIs.

 There is one really notable cartoon though... "Mummies
 Alive". It has a surprisingly "animesque" touch to it,
 and the action is better than Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter (American). Not bad... if only more cartoons
 are like that. Oh, and yeah... I hate CGI TV series :)

Kaworu Nagisa (aka Veilchen)