Mark Simmons (scorpio@best.com)
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 01:32:22 -0700

Garrick Lee asks,

>can someone explain to me the technicalities of the
>'gundam fight' (without giving away the entire story)?

  I'm actually gearing up to re-watch the series, prior to drafting a
synopsis for the Gundam Project site, so I could use the practice. (I
actually picked up the whole series on laser disc, 'cause the price was
so good, and I frankly adore the show.)

>is the gundam fight simply a tour around the world
>one-on-one fight (ala highlander), and only one
>remains? or is it some sort of royal rumble
>free-for-all? i'm getting a little thrown off here
>(we're at episode 22 where all the gundams are moving
>to new hongkong for some big day...)

  Then you're right at the changeover from round one to round two. The
complete Gundam Fight runs a full year, the first eleven months of which
indeed consist of a Highlander-style elimination process in which the
Gundams wander the planet picking random fights. This "Survival Eleven"
phase is when the destroy-your-head-and-you're-out clause applies. In
case you're curious, yes, you can make it through this phase simply by
hiding - according to series director Imagawa, the Nether Gundam made it
to the next round by turning into a windmill and sitting inconspicuously
on a hill for eleven months!

  Anyone who makes it through these eleven months without losing his head
is advanced to the tournament phase, a one-month event hosted by the
previous winner (Neo Hong Kong in this case). Here, the Gundams are
pitted against one another in supervised duels to determine the overall
best. The head clause no longer applies, and all contestants can be
rebuilt as often as necessary. However, only the very best make it to the
final round...

  ...the Battle Royal, held this time on some remote island. If memory
serves, the top twelve Gundam Fighters from the tournament round are
dumped in the middle of nowhere, to fight until only one is left
standing. This would be the Gathering, in Highlander terms, and naturally
"in the end, there can be only one. Let it be Domon Kasshu and his
Shining Finger."

-- Mark