Chris Beilby (cbeilby@home.com)
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 01:22:05 -0700

Richie Ramos wrote:

> >The only reason Disney buys Japanese anime is to obtain control of any
> >potential threats to their monopoly of kiddie-friendly animation. Witness
> >how they bought modern classics such as Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service
> >only to put them out directly on home video, thus eliminating any hope of
> >releasing them theatrically, which is dominated by lame re-releases and
> >remakes from Disney's library.
> >Don't expect Disney to invest much money or effort in the marketing of
> >The Pricess Mononoke - they've already tossed it to their indie distributor
> >Miramax for a release date that's closer to Halloween instead of the summer
> >or Thanksgiving (well out of the way of Tarzan and Toy Story 2). This is
> >how a work of art that was No. 2 in Japanese box office history got treated
> >here.
> >Count ourselves lucky Disney hasn't touched Gundam yet.
> >Eddie
>
> I will have to agree with reservation on this one. Disney's tactics have
> made sure that not very many people will see those movies, even though they
> are basically very good shots at box-office sales.
>
> I have always known that Disney is not as goodie goodie as it wants itself
> to be seen. Heck, just learning that even a DisneyLand/World employees
> shoes are subject to scrutiny, as well as behavior and all that even out of
> the sight of customers is ugh for me. Besides, after watching the Disney
> movies...I get mixed reactions. I know they're good as stories in
> themselves, and are definitely wonders of animation...but some of them are,
> to put it bluntly, disturbing. Maybe it's because I've had too much
> cultural studies and analysis in the brain because of my major in college,
> but it disturbs me nonetheless.
>
> I'm always hoping that Disney will end up doing right by Japanese anime.
>
> "Magic is the hand of faith..."
>
> Richard Ramos

Well, as far as the agreement with Tokuma, Disney is curtailed by the
contract. Miyazaki and Tokuma made sure to put a clause in the contract
saying that they had final approval on all changes to be made, and that
/nothing/ whatsoever was to be cut from the films. Hence, Mononoke-Hime
being released by Miramax (although it will be a limited release.)
Likewise, as the agreement includes Nausicaa, perhaps american audiences
will finally see this classic as it was meant to be, rather than in the
terribly butchered Warriors of the Wind. (Goddess only knows what
they'll do to Heisei Tanuki Wars: Pom Poko, however...)