Sat, 11 Sep 1999 10:30:09 -0700 (PDT)

--- Kin Man Felix Wong <wongkin@pilot.msu.edu> wrote:

> Am I the only one thinking that the shield in Zaku
> IIs are useless. I mean, what are the chances that
> anyone trying to hit your "shoulder" from the side?

How about MS fighting pitch battles in close quarter?
In episode 10 of "The 08th MS Team" OVA, Gouf Custom
uses its spiked shoulder armors to hit Karen's "GM
Head" in a head-to-head encounter. Before the Feds
have the own MS, Zakus spiked left shoulder are useful
for knocking off infrastructues and armors from bulky
target such as battleships. In "08", the Ground-Combat
J-type Zakus have their right shoulder shield studded
with 3 dull-edged spikes to enhance the close combat
ability.

> BTW, is (Gann/Gyan) the first weapon (missles)-
> carrying shield in gundam? I know a lot of MS carry
> sabers and ammon clips, but is it the 1st one to
> carry things that actually lanuch from the shield?

It used to be, until "The 08th MS Team" OVA was
released. Gouf Custom's "gatling shield" can be
counted as a weapon as well as a defense mechanism.
One may argue that the gatling is a clip-on weapon,
but at least it fires from the shield.

As for the "who's first?" issue, Gouf Custom was
developed sooner after MS-07B was employed after Garma
Zabi's death in October 0079; the prototype
"Gann/Gyan" was competing with "Gelgoog" in December
0079. As a retcon, therefore, Gouf Custom is the first
to have shield launched weapon in OYW, but "Gann/Gyan"
is the first we know in real life, when "Gundam 0079"
was first aired on TV.

===
Nightingale