Chaos025@aol.com
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 04:19:22 EDT

In a message dated 9/5/99 10:42:48 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
lim_jyue@pacific.net.sg writes:

> That leads me to today's technical question: Given today's
> technology, what's the smallest nuclear reactor you can build that's
capable
> of propelling a vehicle carrying it?

About the sive of a 5 gallon drum. The Russians came up with the design, and
they had it out here in New Mexico for a while for some testing. The
intention is to mount it on satellites as a power source for systems that
won't have access to solar energy. And it should be able to kick out a couple
hundred watts of power for a good 5 years or so. Of course, since funding
from Russian has been cut, and the scientists they sent here have been
recalled, I have no idea what the current status on it is. But the technology
does exist now, and can be improved with just a little bit of time and money.

SJ