BlazeEagle@aol.com
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 04:04:57 EDT

jboren@earthlink.net writes:

> I've thought about this a lot. There is avid need to protect (american)
> troops in these new volitile crisis areas, especially since the
> causualtyfree air campaign over Kosovo. So we will see many more automated
> weapons, drone aircraft etc. (BTW, Nato lost 15 UAV's to enemy fire in
> Serbia). But eventually, peacekeepers have to be sent in and in order to
> prevent losses I forsee more and more body armor issued to soldiers. Power
> ampification to offset the weight of the armor will be next. And heavy
> armor suits will be made in order to break into strong points. Limited
> power would mean a heavily armoured support vehicle, which could drive up
> to the enemy building (or what have you) and deploy the suits under fire,
> and get them in and out fast. These suits would be very useful with the new
> attitude of bringing the enemy into into trial, rather than just killing
> him. Various non-leathal weapons would be used to subdue them. City and
> building fights are best suited for these suits, where bombing the enemy
> isn't politically wise.

The bad guys would somehow get a hold of a few of these suits and starting
making them too, though your idea is a very good one and I share your idea.
Of course the smaller, poor nations couldn't afford this armor, though. Bad
guys will always get a hold of our military equipment somehow and use it
against us, but this shouldn't hold us back from making new weapons or less
dangerous weapons. Of course weapons that can kill shouldn't be gotten rid
of, I hate to day it, but sometimes killing the enemy is the only way to stop
them. This is sad and horrible but sometimes true. Kosovo was embarrsing,
the bombing didn't stop it, Molasovach stopped killing people by himself, but
I'm sure that had something to do with NATO's bombing.

Aaron