James Boren (jboren@earthlink.net)
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 00:24:18 -0700

I've thought about this a lot. There is avid need to protect (american)
troops in these new volitile crisis areas, especially since the
causualtyfree air campaign over Kosovo. So we will see many more automated
weapons, drone aircraft etc. (BTW, Nato lost 15 UAV's to enemy fire in
Serbia). But eventually, peacekeepers have to be sent in and in order to
prevent losses I forsee more and more body armor issued to soldiers. Power
ampification to offset the weight of the armor will be next. And heavy
armor suits will be made in order to break into strong points. Limited
power would mean a heavily armoured support vehicle, which could drive up
to the enemy building (or what have you) and deploy the suits under fire,
and get them in and out fast. These suits would be very useful with the new
attitude of bringing the enemy into into trial, rather than just killing
him. Various non-leathal weapons would be used to subdue them. City and
building fights are best suited for these suits, where bombing the enemy
isn't politically wise.

In terms of private use, deployment of mobile suits types, just start a
sport. Sports are big business. I could see it happening.

-James