James L. Ravelo II (jravelo2@pacific.net.ph)
Mon, 06 Sep 1999 14:18:04 +0800

Lim Jyue wrote:

> of power production way over the requirements of the sub.. Assuming we are
> interested only in building a reactor capable of propelling a small vehicle
> of under 100 tons, is it feasible?
>
> Most MS are under 100 tons, and they don't really produce that much
> power from their reactor -- I doubt their reactors produce as much power as
> the nuclear sub's. So.. is it possible to squeeze a conventional (i.e.
> current fission or experimental fusion) reactor into a MS frame?

hmm...given the current rate of tech improvement, how heavy would you think a
nuke reactor, or any reactor for that matter, that can power an MS-sized
machine? In BattleTech the heaviest mechs like the Annihilator (100 tons max
weight, reactor, armor, internal structure and weapons included of course) can
carry a reactor that maxes out at around 26 tons I think...