-Z- (Z@Gundam.Com)
Sun, 05 Sep 1999 14:56:08 -0700

At 13:56 9/5/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>i have a survey for everyone. well not really a series of questions just a
>couple. do you think that mobile suits should be developed for military use
>and if so what weapons do you think they should equipped with . and last but
>not least do you think that the average joe should be allowed to pilot a
>mobile suit ?

Let's face it, a giant robot is ridiculous, militarily or otherwise. A
powered exoskeleton, like the Power Loader in Aliens 2, makes much more
sense. An armed and armored version of that might be suitable for military
use. For use in space, the best design is probably something like the
RB-79K Ball!

The Mobile Suit would be a tremendous waste of resources. The Armored
Trooper of Votoms is a much more practical design and even that is probably
unworkable. The best implementation of a powered armor exoskeleton that
I've seen to date is the MADOX-01 from the OAV of the same name. I also
like the MONO pod in Cowboy Bebop.

One of the reasons I like the MADOX-01 is that they simply designed a
humanoid frame and mounted half the inventory of Jane's All The World's
Weaponry on it. But if you want a good, solid, flexible weapons loadout,
you probably can't beat the descriptions in Robert A. Heinlein's original
Starship Troopers novel.

As to letting the average Joe pilot one, I'd like to ground all those
weekend warriors who've managed to get their hands on rebuilt WW1 and WW2
fighters. No one should have access to these things except the people who
are tasked to use them to serve and defend the country. These aren't toys
or RVs and they should not be treated as such.

As to letting a 15-year-old pilot one, well, don't get me started! (^_-);;

-Z-