Heero (zzgundam@home.com)
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 22:25:15 -0700

For the past few weeks, I've been reading posts regarding GM's and how
crappy they (and their pilots) are. Now, I admit that the percentage of
GM blown to bits is considerably higher than that of Zion mobiles suits
has been. Heck, even HLJ calls the GM the "classic 'blow me up,
please!' good guy mecha" in its description for the MG GM. However,
there are several legitimate explanations to this, and I have come to
help defend the honor of the GM and their crews.
For one thing, the Zions have had mobile suits many years longer than
the Federation. The MS-05 Zakus were first thought of in UC 0073 with a
prototype coming a year or so later. This is a whole 5 years before the
RX project was even a twinkling in the minds of Federation engineers.
It that period of time, the Zions had plenty of time to train their
pilots in the arts of mobile suit piloting and combat. Plus, they were
able to come up with advancements in their technology as well, replacing
the MS-05 with the MS-06 Zaku II and coming up with variants of that
model as well. The Zions were also able to come up with different kinds
of mobile suits as well, like the Gouf, Ric Doms, and so forth. It
wasn't until the latter part of UC 0079, that the Federation were able
to manufacture its first mobile suits, and by then, the Zions already
had a 6+ year head start. And the GM's weren't even introduced until
near the end of 0079. So, calling the GM inferior to Zion mobile suits
is rather unfair considering the facts that I have pointed out. If the
Federation and Zions had developed mobile suits at the same time,
perhaps it would have be a different situation.

Another discussion that I have been following on the ML is what is a
Gundam and a GM. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a suit have to be
made of Gundarium/Lunar Titanium in order to be considered a "Gundam"?
It's true that the majority of the Gundams in the UC sagas have been
prototypes, but they were also armored with Gundarium as well which is
the reason why they can survive being bombarded by beam fire, missile
attacks, and a whole slew of other weapons that would totally obliterate
an ordinary mobile suit. It's a good thing too that Kou (whom a while
ago was called "the most unaffective Gundam pilot") was in a Gundam.
Had he not had the GPs' added armor, he'd probably been killed in the
first battle with Gato. Even Christine was lucky to have been in the
Alex, for she probably would not have survived Misha's ferious barrage
if it weren't for the fact that she was in a Gundam.

Any comments/rebuttals to the above would be greatly appreciated!

Ja-ne!

Peter