Y. Choe (cmaster@ucla.edu)
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 18:18:40 -0700

> All this talk about buttkicking women protagonist anime brought me to one
> question. Do many women like shows just because it has a female
> protagonist? I got the feeling that most of these shows with
> large-breasted
> women protagonists appealed to men. (Cutey Honey, Project A-ko,
> Dirty Pair,
> etc.) I certainly haven't come across too many women fans of
> those types of
> shows.
>
> Most women fans either seem to fall into the category of fans of shoujo
> anime, like the magical girl type shows (Sailor Moon, Card Captor Sakura,
> etc.) or droolers of bishounen (Yu Yu Hakusho, Gundam W, etc.) Of course
> there are some fans who go for the storyline...
>
> I find that many fans of shoujo actually dislike big-breast, sexy girl
> anime. (I certainly don't care for them) You may want to keep
> this in mind
> when recommending anime to women.

I realize that. It's unfortunately, the way things are.

However, there are few that manages to transcend this and pull in both males
and females. Several numbers of Miyazaki manages to do so, and why that was
not called to my attention is still unknown. On the other hand, I don't
know how O!MG! appeals to either sexes, but quite a few number of females I
know likes the series. However, OMG also started as a male oriented series,
and still does to a degree (mostly on mechanial and well featured
goddesses).

However, most females are attracted to Bishounen or Magikal Girls Type.
Gundam I hear though has had big female following. It's been known to
happen. However, I think Gundam Wing just tore it wide open, and Gundam X
poorly attempted to exploit that... You know the results of that poor
experiment.

Project A-Ko is an utter crap, and I am sorry that I actually enjoyed it.

Y. Choe