-Z- (Z@Gundam.Com)
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 14:42:50 -0700

At 11:13 8/29/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>Now you mentioned electric storms and raising air temperature. But isn't
>nuclear winter the result of have so much dust kicked up that the sun is
>blocked for an extented period of time. For a long time, I thought that
>is the most significant effect.

My point was that, to date, all of the "climatic changes" have been
ascribed to the impact, which has been treated as if it were an asteroid
strike, but that the dynamics of a colony drop are quite different from
those of an asteroid strike. The colony will certainly create quite an
impact when it or its constituent parts strike land or sea, but it will
also create some tremendous atmospheric effects on the way down.

This consequence of both asteroid strikes and colony drops has been
virtually ignored. With an asteroid strike, the aerial shockwave is
negligable compared to the impact shockwaves. The impact winter scenario
results from particulate matter being thrown up into the jet stream and
carried around the world, creating an occluding layer that in turn
increases the greenhouse effect.

But a colony drop creates a much larger aerial shockwave and a much smaller
impact shockwave. In the Operation British drop, a significant mass
travels halfway around the world before impact, churning up the atmosphere
all the way. It's quite possible that the jet stream itself may be disrupted.

The asteroid strike scenario creates havoc on the ground that filters up to
create global climatic effects. The colony drop scenario is globally
disruptive from the outset, literally ripping the existing weather system
apart in passing.

-Z-