Sat, 28 Aug 1999 11:14:20 -0700 (PDT)

--- Chien Ting Chin
<chinc@sten.sunnybrook.utoronto.ca> wrote:

>> On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, garrick lee wrote:
>> the voice acting was pretty ok. the voice for
>> Trieze was good, smooth and suave. Zechs was ok.
>> Heero was DEADPAN. duo was just right. Trowa
>> needed...
>
> Ahh... I so envy you then. I just had the
misfortune
> to suffer through a Cantonese dubbed CCA. The
> translation was OK, a little clumsy but sounds
> accurate enough. But Arg! The voice acting! The
> voices have no personality beyond gender. Every
> sentence is delivered in the exact same tone for
> command, question, sarcasm, panic, anguish, love,
> puzzlement, awe and political speeches. I mean,
it's
> one thing to act badly, it's quite another thing to
> completely strip all emotions and credibility from
> every single line in a movie.

And this voice-acting is done by the company (Pop and
In) which has the seal of approval from Sunrise &
Sotsu to distribute the Gundam series officially. This
is what turing a blind eye can do to the customers.

> Ahh... how I miss the old 1981 dubbing of 0079.
> Maybe it's my heart instead of my head speaking, but

> I really think the Cantonese dubbing is better than
> the Japanese original.

The old dubbing from the official TVB broadcast in
1981 got a voice actor that sounded exactly like Toru
Furuya, the Japanese v.a. for Amuro Ray. This guy (i
forget his name) also voice-acted for Sammo Hung in
many of his Cantonese-languaged HK movies; whereas the
guy who (Cantonese) voice-acted Char Aznable is also
the one who voice-act for the famous Jackie Chan. I
think both did a really impressive job back in 1981,
impressive enough that I'm still a Gundam fan today...

===
Nightingale