-Z- (Z@Gundam.Com)
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 21:47:31 -0700

At 19:32 8/24/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>It's just a name... don't sweat it. As for the GM, a friend who lived in
>Japan during the 80s half-jokingly stated that it was a reference to the
>fact that they were rolled off the manufacturing plants that once belonged
>to General Motors.

And let's not forget the early Romanization on the model box: "Jimm"...

(MS-06 Jack vs RGM-79 Jim! By George!)

Unless it was named in honor of Jimmu, the first emperor of Japan. Oof!

If we get a female pilot for the GM, will she nickname it "Jimmy"? "Slim Jim"?

"You don't tug on Superman's cape
You don't spit into the wind
You don't pull the mask off that old Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with my GM!"

That GUNDAM acronym started with fans who have since gone pro. As a
result, it's now back in the form of a shoulder decal on the Perfect Grade
model. But, as Mark Simmons observed in his FAQ some years ago, that would
mean the RX-75 was the General Utility Non-Tank and the RX-77 the General
Utility Non-Cannon. Unless, of course, TANK and CANNON are also acronyms.

These same guys also gave us SUIT and ARMOUR as acronyms -- Space Utility
Intrument, Tactical for the former and I mercifully forget the latter.
They even credited Mamoru Nagano with saying that the MS-06 was supposed to
be ZAK, an acronym for Zeon Air Kommand.

Hmmm. Maybe we should just go ask ALICE.... (^_^);;

-Z-