Ulrich Massamba (anavel@bocal.cs.univ-paris8.fr)
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 15:10:41 +0200

Chien Ting Chin wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Aug 1999, -Z- wrote:
> > Each colony is 32km (20 miles) long and 6.4km (4 miles) in diameter. But
> > elevations. The concrete and titanium hull is only a meter thick. The
>
> So that makes 32e3 * 6.4e3 * pi * 1 = 643 million m^3 of stuff.
>
> Specific gravity of titanium is 4.54, concrete is probably lighter, so I
> will be conservative and use 2. That's 1.3e12 kg, or 1.3 million million
> kg being drop on your head.
>
> Escape velocity of earth is something like 11 m/sec (right?), so
> E = (1/2) m V^2 You have 7.7e13 J. Now for the life of me, I can't
> remember or find out how many J there is to the Megaton, so I do some
> searching to try to figure it out. The heat of combustion for TNT is 821
> "kg calories per gram molecular weight", I have no idea what that really
> means, if it's 821 calories per gram, than it's 3.4e15 J per Megaton.
>
> Hmm so a colony drop is conservative only 0.02 Megaton or 22 kiloton. Hmm
> how big was Hiroshima again? About the same?

Hiroshima bomb was 1.5 kiloton. The colony seems to be more destructive
than Little Boy.

If i remember well, the power of Island Ifish colony drop during British
Operation was 600 Megatons and such huge power just create a sea !?

--
Ulrich "Anavel Gato" Massamba
Homepage: http://helios.cs.univ-paris8.fr/~anavel/