garrick lee (dum_dee_doo@hotmail.com)
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 21:22:26 PHT

>it's anime physics again...and it could get really funny sometimes...am
>watching G Gundam right now,

you too? heh.

as an aside, while waiting for g gundam, i find myself drawn to watch
ultraman dyna (and previously for g wing, ultraman tiga). love those
rubber suits. :) (stoopid question: is ultraman tiga the pretty boy
version of ultraman? they were all so much prettier to look at...the two
femme guts officers :P)

>and I find it...hilarious. It is a really
>cheesy spot of cartoon animation. The idea is beginning to be nice
>though...I like the pathos it has, reminds me of the older space opera type
>cartoons. but the glowing eyes, the hyper modes, the "SHINING
>FINGER!!!!!!", it looks great, but now I am beginning to see why some
>gundam purists find it so...quirky, for want of a better term.

well...methinks many details could have been done better in g gundam. and
it's only the 7th episode. the first five seemed to be filler
episodes...giving us teasers about dommon koshu's quest, while showcasing
the crazy-arsed designs.

the introduction with the eye-patched announcer needs to go. sure it's
unique -- the way the show converses with the viewer (kinda like she-hulk
comics), but it seems out of place. (then again, so many things in g gundam
seem out of place...)

the tequila and rose are tied for "cheesiest gundam" so far...though i
suspect they'll be overtaken soon. i just hope i don't see the mermaid
gundam or zebra gundam or matador gundam in action. aiiieeee... were the g
gundam producers drunk? this IS worse than that whale monster from tranzor
z. (anyone remember that?)

i really think the "shining finger" should be renamed "shining fist" or
something. it's not like dommon sticks the finger at the enemy gundam.
jeez, he just grabs the head. how disappointing.

and the animation of dommon raising his hand dramatically...only to snap his
fingers...! aaaaaaaargh!

why does dommon get a funky racer/car/platform to dock in with his shining
gundam? he jumps into the racer's cockpit just as it docks with the
shinging gundam...how the heck does he have space to do his
fighting-action-sequence? you know, where he goes through the plastic bag
and does his daimos thingie?

the mini-fighting platform inside the gundam is interesting. but...wouldn't
the pilot run out of space anyway? if he jumps up, the gundam jumps up. if
he jumps left, the gundam jumps left. what if the pilot runs off? the
gundam runs, but the pilot runs out of space inside the gundam's belly. or
are they floating in some magnetic field inside? what if the gundam is
prone? knocked down? turned upside down? what happens to the pilot? does
the pilot, in turn, mimic the position of the gundam (since a prone gundam
is practically flopping on the ground) ?

character design also needs work. kinda disappointing (well, yeah, maybe
i've been spoiled by the uberslick character designs of g-wing, but
hey...all the g gundam characters look bland, with crazy but banal
hairstyle, and plain uninspired faces. even in close up. dang, but the
big-eyes-small-mouth with pointy chin is so *blah!* to look at.)

plot wise, i suppose it's shaping up (i hope -- heck, the intro animation
has changed already, so that means something significant must've
happened...heheheh) maybe we'll get somewhere instead of just seeing cheesy
gundams fight each other. even then, the gundam fights are so
disappointing. they begin with fanfare, but end on a dumb note (i.e. the
shining gundam with its grubby hands over another gundam's face). and
those "gundam fighting convention clauses" are so silly. aaaah.

-ddd