Chaos025@aol.com
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 21:43:34 EDT

In a message dated 8/22/99 6:08:09 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
gaijin@i-manila.com.ph writes:

<< actually, I don't like the idea of headguns at all, if the head also
 contains the main targeting sensors...I mean, even if it doesn't fire all
 the time, the vibrations from the gun carriage may misalign or throw the
 aiming system off...and any carriage which could absorb a majority of the
 vibration would be too expensive to be practical. I know, i know...it's
 the future, but we are talking not of a single-shot system here, but of a
 continuous feed weapon.

 I would have preferred it if the guns were on the chest. Of course, we are
 talking here of pinpoint accuracy...the argument is moot if all you want to
 do is hit a zaku anywhere.

The US Navy uses 20 mm Vulcan cannons in their Phalanx air defense system.
The Phalanx mounts all of its individual sensor systems (including gunner)
directly above the weapon mount, which is again mount directly above its
individual pedestal (containing all of its movement gear). These thing are
pretty darn accurate now, can the future be all that much different?

The Abrams and Leopard II main battle tanks can rapid fire their main cannons
with extreme accuracy while traveling cross country at top speed.

Motion picture companies use a "steady cam" system that keeps a camera
vibration free and pointed on target regardless of the movements of its
operator, or of any carriage it may be mounted to.

The tech is here now. It had better still be here in the future.

SJ