-Z- (Z@Gundam.Com)
Sat, 21 Aug 1999 15:45:41 -0700

At 15:31 8/21/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>The funny thing about them is that it says "Taiwan
>Chinese edition for distribution and sale in Taiwan
>only"
>Which probably means that it's also bootleg, right?

No, it means that the license extends only to the specified region.

In other words, Tong Li Comics has a license to reproduce and distribute
their translation of the manga, but may only do so in Taiwan. They cannot
legally export them to, say, the US and most certainly not to Japan.

So, any copies that turn up over here are "bootleg" in the sense that they
are being illegally distributed and sold, although they are of legal
manufacture.

The same is also true of Son May (SM) Records. As I understand it, they
are authorized to manufacture, distribute and sell within China. It's only
when SM is distributed and sold outside their licensed region that it's
bootleg.

-Z-