-Z- (Z@Gundam.Com)
Sat, 21 Aug 1999 15:23:42 -0700

At 06:04 8/21/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>At 04:53 AM 8/21/99 , Dennis wrote:
>>I don'k know much about physics so.... be patient : )
>>The rocks/comets in the movies are bigger and denser than a colony.
>>Those colonies are quite big (3km? diameter), but the damage they did in
>>Gundam was nothing compared to the movies.

Each colony is 32km (20 miles) long and 6.4km (4 miles) in diameter. But
the colony is mostly air at a density on par with Earth's higher
elevations. The concrete and titanium hull is only a meter thick. The
three "ground" panels are built up to an average thickness of 5 meters, but
the three "sky" panels, which comprise just under half the hull, are just a
meter-thick array of quartz glass blocks. By comparison with a typical
asteroid, the colonies are giant balloons!

>>I hope you people get what I am saying, since my english sucks.

Your English is vastly superior to my Chinese….

>1. The impact from the OYW colony drop is quite considerable. But in
>reality, there should have been lots more damage. As it is, it created
>Sydney Sea with just a fragments (about 1/3 of the colony).

Again, the bulk of the colony's mass would've been in the solar power
stations, docking ports and industrial blocks mounted on either end of the
cylinder. The cylinder itself would've been in shreds long before impact
and produced a shower of (relatively) small pieces.

There's also the velocity side of the force equation to consider. The
space colonies, being diverted from Lunar orbit, would have a maximum
velocity of about Mach 18 -- anything more and it would exceed Earth
orbital velocity and fly off into space. A rock coming in from
interplanetary space would have a minimum velocity of Mach 25 -- anything
less and it would have long since fallen into the Sun.

>3. They eventually drop 2 more colony, the runaway colony in 0083, which
>we didn't see the impact, but landed somewhere in North America. The
>second colony drop is on Ireland (which should have totally destroy the
>island) in ZZ Gundam. The moon also got slagged in either Zeta or ZZ
>Gundam.

The 0083 colony was slowed down when it was deflected from its original
course toward Jaburu to its final course toward Oakley. It transits the
atmosphere at a near-tangent and strikes a more "grazing" blow than the
Sydney drop.

The Dublin drop was retarded by Newtype telekinesis and made a "soft"
landing, resulting in something resembling a scaled up Leaning Tower of Pisa.

A colony is dropped from Side 4 (L1) toward Von Braun in Z Gundam, but is
deflected to an uninhabited part of the Moon. (No mention of moonquakes)
Later, Axis (minus Mauser) falls toward Granada after being used to smash
the Zedan Gate (formerly A'Bao'A'Qu) but is deflected by the Colony Laser.

>4. Seriously, just one of those colony drop might be enough to end life
>on Earth.

Although we don't see much direct evidence of it, all of the early
timelines cite the "Impact Winter" that followed the Sydney drop and how it
drastically altered the Earth's climate. No details of this have
expounded, however.

While it seems that the Earth recovers very quickly, it should also be
noted that humanity seems to have forgotten about the One Year War in only
two or three generations. I find this hard to believe, considering how
some Americans are still fighting the Civil War of 1864 and how the entire
world must still contend with the consequences of World War II.

>5. And then, there is After War Gundam X. They drop hundreds of O'Neil
>Island 3 colony on Earth, and life on Earth still goes on...

Ah, but these got shot to pieces by the Gundam Defense Line…. (^_^);;

>6. It's only a show. We really cannot expect them to get everything
>right.

Repeat after me: "Get … a … LIFE…!"

-Z-