garrick lee (dum_dee_doo@hotmail.com)
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 21:30:18 PHT

it's the G gundams which are, thanks to the
> >the show itself being televised roight now.

uh...hmm...imx, the g gundams aren't moving terribly fast either.
but it could be just me and my erroneous observations.

but the show just kicked off this week so...could take some time for the
kids to persuade their parents to buy the kits. not that they're
particularly nice to look at. ugh. the shining gundam seems to be the most
serious design, and it doesn't impress me. it's bland and pedestrian. and
i just saw the gundam rose on tv today. no comments :P

i'm taping g gundam off tv, but still can't make up my mind whether or not i
like the show -- i'll say two things though: g gundam certainly adheres more
to the "big eyes small mouth" stereotype of anime and that rubs me the wrong
way. second, it's only the 4th episode and i'm already tired of seeing
dommon kosshu's shining gundam warm-up sequence. it's slick, flashy and
"cool", but i actually prefer daimos' sequence...for some unfathomably
stupid reason...

>Should I say people have no taste, or that they don't know the good stuff
>even if it bites them on the ass?
>
>I think price is the only factor here. People are either cheap or can't
>afford the pricy stuff. When you can get 3 MSiA figures for the price of
>a MG Dom or chogokin kadosenshi, people go for quantity not quality

people are cheap. you hit it squarely, eddie. i prefer to choose the words
"stingy" and "inexpensive" though. :P

methinks the market for the serious model kit builder here (philippines) is
mighty small. we're a third world country after all. most of the kits
(mostly 1/144) out there get chomped up by kids. or guys like me who use
1/144 scale to practice panel lines and paint before hitting the 1/100.
heh.

my observations come from what i overhear when kids go toy-buying (in this
case, gundam) with parents.

"but you just bought one last week!"
"but it's the same as the one you bought last time!" (referring to different
tallgeese versions)
"they're all the same!" (looking at all the z and zz and zplus kits)

parents...they're like...different species of animals or something.

either that OR, everyone here is so wrapped up in the voltes v revival to
notice gundam. t-shirts, socks, shoes, and all possible incarnations of
voltes v are everywhere. it's _almost_ pathetic. (even more boggling that
voltes v is labelled as "the greatest anime to hit philippine tv", but it's
only because that's the only anime that the masses seem to know about). and
i gotta say, the disco version of voltes v opening song is the pits.

is it any surprise then, that the dom and the more "quality" kits aren't
moving as fast as gundam afficionados think they should?

i speak only for my country's market...dunno about markets elsewhere.

-ddd
i just want my die-cast valkyrie and i can die a happy schmuck.
woohoohoo...