James Boren (jboren@earthlink.net)
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 23:48:20 -0700

>In a message dated 8/18/1999 8:54:29 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
>geraldk@pacific.net.sg writes:
>
>> dunno where i heard it from ( probably from Syd mead's interview)
>> that the Sumo is actually the first prototype of turn A gundam... rite??
>
>Yep, I think so.
>
>Aaron

It was the interview in Car Styling magazine. Yeah, the Sumo was Syd's
first drawing. Everyone thought it was too muscular for the Gundam, but
liked it enough to keep the design. As for the high heels on all the mobile
suits, I think they are supposed to be some kind of shock absorbing feature
(who care about ground pressure anyway?) I didn't buy the magazine, (Car
Styling is expensive) but there was some interesting stuff in that article,
as well as some good drawings.

-James