Edward Ju (gundam@loop.com)
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 22:23:44 -0700

> Yup. Specific comments follows, but the problems lies mostly with
>the arms and backpack. =( Still, a good looking kit.

Yeah, can't knock it for looking cool, although I don't like its proportions
100%. The V-antenna were way too big.

> I fear for my shoulder joints, because there's a lot of friction in
>that area whenever you move the arms. I'm afraid one day the whole arm is
>going to pop off because the shoulder joint is worn through..

Actually I like the joints tight like that. Some joints were way too loose
which reminds me of the almost unposable 1:144 HG RX-78-2. Boy did that kit
suck.

>>- Bazooka:
>
> I *could* make it carry an over-the-shoulder bazooka, but it is
>rather tight and again, damage might occur at the joints.

It is doable, but the pose did not look good enough because the arm would
have to fold out more than it should.

>>- Beam Rifle:
>
> I think if you rotate the arm so that the elbow is sideways, the
>rifle can be in line with the eyes.

The rear end of the rifle is too long and the torso gets in the way. To
really get the scope at eye level you'd have to pose it at an awkward angle
instead of pointing the rifle straight forward.

>>- Shield:
>
> I didn't really have a problem with posing the arm with the shield
>-- maybe your elbow joint is too loose? -- but the two-button shield is a
>major irritant. I'm contemplating gluing the shield in the extended position.

It wasn't loose before the shield was attached. The arm has trouble
maintaining its pose in certain angles, but not in others, depending on
the weigh distribution.

> Another possible problem is the housing for the beam rifle clips.
>Not only are the holders very tight, making removal of the clips very
>difficult, once you place the clips on the shield, there is only a tiny slit
>for the Mk. II to look through. This doesn't look very realistic.

Yeah, that does bug me, but I was glad that the clips do not fall off the
shield easily, unlike other parts on the Mk-II.

>>- Beam saber storage:
>
> Not only that (the loose beam saber storage), the beam saber itself
>is in 2 parts, making it very easy to disable your own saber -- and the
>transluncent beam saber part doesn't fit very well. You'll need to lop a bit
>off the insert tip to make it fit.

Hmm, mine fitted perfectly without lopping off the insert tip. One should
glue the rim of the saber handle to the handle, though.

>>- Headset vulcan:
>
> It was pretty loose whenever I tried to put it on, and it is often
>the first thing (Either this or the shield) to pop loose.

Mine popped off once, but if you leave the head alone it tends to stay there.

>>- LOOSE joints all over:
>
> The side skirt armour was very bad -- every time I tried to remove
>the bazooka clip OR the beam rifle from the hip, the damn thing came off.

Be warned, the 1/100 scale V2 Gundams were even worse in their front skirt
armor, and they aren't even polycapped.

>The butt mount however, is less of a problem for me -- as the backpack hangs
>over it, it's surprisingly difficult to mount the bazooka, but as a bonus,
>the bazooka won't pop off on it's own. It'll slide left and right, but it
>doesn't pop off that often.

I had no problem mounting the bazooka, but keeping it balanced was a pain
due to the heaviness of the magazine.

> Another problem area is that the backpack is extremely prone to just
>flying off -- the L-shaped clips are really inadequate for holding it on;
>two normal polycaps should be better, but requires a bit of re-engineering.
>(maybe I'll get another Mk. II. =)

I haven't had my backpack flying off yet, but it is very easy to remove it.
Seeing how problematic this kit is, I shudder at the thought of putting
together a Super Gundam... how's the damn thing gonna stand up and stay in
one piece?

>> Compared to the MG Zaku II, the MG Mk-II feels like a boneless slug.
>
> I agree here. The Zaku II has in itself a b!tch to put together, but
>at least it hangs together better than the Mk. II

Yeap. Good old dependable workhorse. :)

Eddie

              .-/ Email: gundam@loop.com .-.
          _.-~ / _____ ______ __ _ _ _ ___ | ~-._
      /..:::::\ http://www.loop.com/~gundam /:::::..\
     \:::::-~ I am an authorized EarthLink Agent. Ask ~-:::::/
      \:-~ me how to switch from your ISP to EarthLink free! ~-:/