Richie Ramos (gaijin@i-manila.com.ph)
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 01:50:56 +0800

>> For example, there is the idea that the .45 caliber was supposed
>> to have been invented because of muslim jihad soldiers. also the fact
>Do you mean they invented a bigger caliber to kill more of the Arabs?
>When was that? Boy you learn something amazing everyday.

i forget when, but it must have been after the time Spain sold the
Philippines to the USA. Supposedly, Jihad soldiers were so crazed and high
on some stuff that .22 and .38 weapons at close range hardly stopped them,
and rifles were useless at close range because they were lightning fast
attackers...so, the .45 caliber was developed for stopping power. Supposedly.
It's a sort of folk tale here in the Philippines.

>> countries national costume, the barong tagalog, was purposefully
>> semi-translucent because the spanish colonialists didn't want the
>> Filipinos having any way to hide weapons on their body. go figure.
>Another juicy bit :) I've always wondered where the tradition of
>translucent clothing comes from. I guess the Spaniards are smart enough
>not to let their prisoners steal MS.
>CHIN, Chien Ting

Not that it helped. There is a recorded instance where a big group of men
armed with bolos CROSS-DRESSED to get into a Spanish army camp. the
Spanish soldiers actually bought it. and there were many casualties for
that garrison. When there's a will, there's a way.

"Magic is the hand of faith..."

Richard Ramos
Svengali, Artificer and Spellcrafter
ICQ#12914919