Edward Ju (gundam@loop.com)
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 04:34:04 -0700

> Yes, they are free sites, and the people responsible did great jobs.
> I enjoy building kits, and I enjoy watching the OVAs. I don't go out
>of the way to research the shows as much as some of you do.

Trust me, I don't research the shows even if you think I do. There are
some freaks out there who can whip out the U.C. dates I've just wrote up
from memory. It really scares me...

>When people talk
>about the shows, and discuss possible subplots within the shows, I add my 2
>cents' worth. Even if I am wrong (as was the case), at least I try to keep
>all my mails on topic. But it still isn't grounds to say that I should stay
>quiet and not say anything -- this is a discussion, and it's good for
>misconceptions to be ironed out. (damnit, I'm starting to sound like my
>lecturer..)

I agree, but it also aggravates me when people toss around their 2 cents
and appear to not have done the minimal homework at all. Spare me with
no-thoughts-given opinions, because they are like assholes, everybody's
got one and I don't really care what yours look like if you have no hard
facts or a damn good reason to back up what you say... this is what
distinguishes what -Z- posts from the mindless "Oh yeah, me too" posts
that plagues this ML and drove away most old timers.

> (As an aside, I find it even more aggrevating as I do keep quiet on
>subjects I have absolutely no idea on -- like the recent discussions on
>MG/HG kits, or Wing -- but when I do join in a discussion about a series I
>liked, I got told to keep quiet.)
>
> Anyway, I probably did come across as a bit too aggressive. My
>apologies.

Well, it's good we settled this in a civilized way instead of starting a
flame war... my apologies too, I had to vent a bit as you sure got me worked
up enough to get off my busy ass and hit the books to type up the timeline.

> Pure Japanese bookstores, no, not really. Kino has about the most,
>uhm, extensive collection there is here, and even then I still can't get
>Gundam Mechanics II from them.

Don't they do special orders?

>Other books, well, they don't always have..

Usually these overseas bookstores only stock new items they are sure will
sell, or the "dead stocks" which are excess copies they can't sell in Japan
and were dumped overseas. If your book doesn't fall into either category,
it's special order time.

>In fact, I didn't really see any new stuff the last time I went down. I
>asked about ordering once, but the salesgirl there went "uh, I don't
>know". Sad.

Sad indeed! You should have demanded to speak to the bookstore's manager
or owner.

> Newbies won't be newbies if they don't ask questions, and they can't
>shed the newbie image until they get answers. We had that problem with our
>local gaming group -- we shunned newbies -- and we are paying the price for
>that now. What's more, weren't you a newbie once upon a time?

Gundam-wise, not really. I've been watching since the original series in
the late 70s, unlike most people here.

> I know how you feel, but why not apply your own advise: don't say
>anything. After all, there are others who are willing to point them towards
>the right direction. Even if it does get annoying. =)

Problem: no one did except for me. The GT thread went on long enough to
make me pull out the official timeline. I can't believe even -Z- had it
wrong, as he is Mr. I-Have-My-Books-To-Back-Everything-Up and is usually
right on the money.

>>I think either Jason or Aaron is making a FAQ for the GML for the newbies'
>>benefit, maybe this should be included as well - a list of free online
>>resources to consult before hitting the ML with another recurring post.
>
> Good idea, but it probably won't really reduce the "dumb" questions
>that much.. Still, a good idea.

Problem is, newbies don't do their homework by definition and will post
whatever question comes to mind anyway.

>>That moron who tried to get off the GML with a rude post was the last straw,
>>and you had the misfortune of coming up right after him...
>
> <drily> Thanks a lot. If you really want to see morons, there was
>this guy on another ML who posted the good ole Happy99.. twice.

Using a PC in the first place was the root of his problem. ;)

Eddie

              .-/ Email: gundam@loop.com .-.
          _.-~ / _____ ______ __ _ _ _ ___ | ~-._
      /..:::::\ http://www.loop.com/~gundam /:::::..\
     \:::::-~ I am an authorized EarthLink Agent. Ask ~-:::::/
      \:-~ me how to switch from your ISP to EarthLink free! ~-:/