-Z- (Z@Gundam.Com)
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 13:50:24 -0700

At 10:57 8/10/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>Is there any connection between GP04 and MKII any way? I posted a message
>earlier that said the two serves as a connection between 0083 and Z Gundam,
>but after reading the posts, I realize they might not even come from the
>same productor in the stories. If my earlier prediction is wrong, why do
>the two Gundams looks awfully similar to each other? If there is no reason,
>can someone at least give me some detail info about the two Gundams? (By
>"info," I mean things like when they are being produced, who produced them,
>etc not which series they appear or who pilot them)

There is no connection whatsoever between the GP line and the Mk-II,
because the GP line technically never existed. All data was destroyed by
the Titans to cover up their involvement with Operation Stardust. The
designers of the Mk-II were therefore doing a completely independent
development based on the original RX-78 line. If you want to see a
technological (as opposed to a storyline) "bridge" between the RX-78 and
the RX-178, look to the RX-78 NT-1 Gundam G-4 "Alex" -- it was designed
specifically to fill that niche.

Here's the lineage:

The RX-78 Gundam was designed by Kunio Okawara circa 1979.

The RX-178 Gundam Mk-II was designed by Kazumi Fujita circa 1984. Kunio
Okawara assisted on the mecha design to ensure it would be an evolved Gundam.

The RX-78 NT-1 Gundam G-4 "Alex" was designed by Yutaka Izubuchi circa
1989. Mika Akitaka and Yasushi Ishizu assisted on the mecha design for
Gundam 0080.

The RX-78 GP01 Gundam Zephyranthes and GP02 Gundam Physalis were designed
by Shoji Kawamori with the specific intention of redefining the original
Gundam design while retaining the elements that made it unique. The RX-78
GP03S Gundam Dendrobium Stamen was designed by Hajime Katoki in the
tradition that made him famous in Gundam Sentinel. The AGX-04 Gerbera
Tetra (and all of the other Zeon mecha except the Zaku II and Xamel, which
were done by Katoki) was designed by Mika Akitaka. All circa 1991.

The RX-78 GP04 Gundam Gerbera Tetra was designed by Mika Akitaka for Model
Graphix circa 1992. In effect, he took his own AGX-04 design and redid it
as a Gundam, borrowing elements from the rest of the GP line.

-Z-