Edward Ju (gundam@loop.com)
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 05:40:28 -0700

>I am planning to buy my first MG kit real soon (in around one week or
>so...), and I would like to have your opinions regarding which MG kit
>could it be . Thanks!

General rule of thumb: the newer the kit is, the better its design is.
Exception to the rule: retooling/variant of a previously released MG kit,
such as the MG GM or the MS-06R series of Zaku IIs.

Here's my take on them:

RX-78-2 Gundam: being the first MG kit, it lacks many of the new bells and
whistles the later MGs have, such as hidden lines that makes painter's life
easier, or a "frame system" like the Mk-II or Gelgoog which has removable
armor. The PG Gundam was, in a way, Bandai's remedy to the situation.

Crystal Version of RX-78-2: not recommended, because the white parts were
molded in transparent plastic instead of colored transparent plastic like
the Zaku IIs.

RX-78-3 Gundam G-3: this is basically the same kit as the RX-78-2, except
most parts were molded in grey, so your finished kit has a navy/stealth
kind of look. A little painting is required.

RGM-79 GM: based off the RX-78-2 mold, you are probably better off with a
Gundam instead of the "blow me up please" grunt, because with the Gundam
you get a Core Fighter at least. The MG GM comes with a bazooka rack which
is mounted on its backpack, and that's pretty much the only thing cool about
it.

MS-06S Char's Zaku II: came out at the same time as the RX-78-2, the
biggest complaint about it (and other Zaku II variants) is the tubes you
have to put together for the "conductive cable".

MS-06F/J mass-produced Zaku II: basically the same as the MS-06S kit but
comes with different weapons and parts so you can build either the ground
or the space combat versions. I recommend this one over the MS-06S.

Crystal Versions of MS-06S and MS-06F/J: if you hate painting and like to
put LEDs or weird parts inside transparent models, then this is for you.

MS-06R-1 Shin Matsunaga's High Mobility Zaku II: this white variant is based
off the MS-06S/F/J mold and comes with vernier-enhanced legs for high
performance space combat. Weapons are the same as the MS-06S, IIRC. Some
parts came in red even though they all should have come in light grey/white,
so some painting is required.

MS-06R-2 Johnny Ridden's High Mobility Zaku II: although similar to the
MS-06R-1, this one is crimson and has a cooler spiked left shoulder. It also
has a set of leg armor covering up some of the verniers. Some painting is
also required.

MS-06R-1A Black Tri-Stars' High Mobility Zaku II: basically the same kit as
the MS-06R-1, but in black, grey, and purple, this kit comes with tons of
weapons, including the super bazooka used by the Dom. Personally I think
this is the R-type Zaku II MG kit to get. Kit comes with a pilot figure.

MS-05B mass-produced Zaku I: based off the MS-06S/F/J mold, with some major
retooling. Comes with a 0083 Gelgoog Marine style shield.

MS-05B Black Tri-Stars' Zaku I: same as the mass-produced version, except
you get a pilot figure, along with a bazooka, and no shield.

Zeta Gundam: parts overload, has a fragile transformation system according
to some.

MS-14S Char's Gelgoog: the MG Gelgoog kits started a trend of hiding the line
where parts come together so as to make people's life easier if they decide
to paint the kit. Also instead of some half-assed "hatch open mode" you can
now remove the entire block of armor to reveal the mechanism underneath.
However, many complained about the lack of details and panel lines on the
armor.

MS-14B/C Gelgoog Cannon: This is actually 2 kits in 1 - you get to choose to
build the B type (Johnny Ridden's High Mobility Gelgoog) or the C type
(Gelgoog Cannon). The parts were molded for B-type so you have to paint
the whole kit if you want to go with the C tyle. You also get a different
head for the C type. This is the kit to get from the Gelgoog variants.

MS-14A mass-produced Gelgoog: the skirt verniers and head has been redone,
and it comes with a different gun too. Probably the easier kit to do a mod
of modern Gelgoogs such as the JG or the Marine.

RX-78 GP-01 Gundam GP-01: ground combat version, haven't built it yet so no
comments.

RX-78 GP-02A Nuclear Gundam: riddled with problems such as the inability to
hold its monstrous shield, etc. This kit is probably only good for display
after you've done assembling it.

RX-78 GP-01Fb Gundam GP-01Fb: space combat version, somewhat different from
the ground GP-01. A bit fragile due to the Core Fighter/Block system, but
is a very sweet kit.

RX-178 Gundam Mk-II (AEUG version): a fine kit that looked like the RX-78-2
but comes together totally unlike it. The design is way improved, and the
frame system allows the removal of the entire backpack and most of the leg
armor. Is less exciting due to the lack of a Core Fighter/Module system,
but posability is very good.

RX-178 Gundam Mk-II (Titans version): same as the AEUG version, except the
parts were molded in dark blue. I recommend this version - a black Gundam
looks much cooler!

Super Gundam: basically the Mk-II plus parts for the G-Defensor, which can
hook to the back of the Mk-II. Has trouble balancing the massive G-Defensor,
and the box is huge - same size as the MG GP-02A. The G-Defensor itself
did not feel MG though... parts were too big and not detailed enough.

MS-09 Dom: the only MG kit to have all five fingers capable of independent
action. Kit is huge (the size of the MG GP-02A or Super Gundam). You might
want to wait for the MS-09R Rick Dom, which will come out later this year.
This kit also comes with a pilot figure and completes your collection of the
Black Tri-Stars.

RX-78NT-1 Alex: the 0080 Gundam will be the next MG kit. Comes with the
armor too.

Good candidates to consider:

MS-06F/J mass-produceed Zaku II
MS-09 Dom
RX-178 Gundam Mk-II (Titans version)
MS-14B/C Gelgoog Cannon
RX-78 GP-01Fb Gundam GP-01Fb
MS-06R-1A Black Tri-Stars' High Mobility Zaku II

Stay away unless you loved the mecha design:

RGM-79 GM
Super Gundam
GP-02A Nuclear Gundam
MS-05B Black Tri-Stars' Zaku I

Eddie

              .-/ Email: gundam@loop.com .-.
          _.-~ / _____ ______ __ _ _ _ ___ | ~-._
      /..:::::\ http://www.loop.com/~gundam /:::::..\
     \:::::-~ I am an authorized EarthLink Agent. Ask ~-:::::/
      \:-~ me how to switch from your ISP to EarthLink free! ~-:/