-Z- (Z@Gundam.Com)
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 20:45:47 -0700

At 21:23 7/30/1999 -0400, you wrote:

>>Japurá - City next to the Japurá river (which is 2330 km long), in S.
>>America. Which serves in Gundam as federation base.
>
>>>You could just as easily cite Javaro, but Jaburo (AKA Jabrow) is not an
>>>actual place, as its the name for a series of artificial caverns beneath
>>>the jungle in the Amazon basin, not a surface feature or locale in the
>>>present day.
>
>Hmm.... but wasn't the place near the river in the original series? Japura
>river, is most obviously, a part of the Solimoes river, inturn the Solimoes
>river converges with Negro River (not the racial term but name of river) to
>form Amazon river. So logically, if we were to assume and try to find the
>most reasonable place, wouldn't that (Japura) be the #1 on the list? Since
>the Japanese has some limits in pronouncing words of foreign language...
>Although the place is imaginary... :) Just a thought.

Both the Japurá River and the town of Japurá midway down its length are so
far above the Amazon basin that they might as well be in Columbia (which,
by the way, is where the Japurá River originates, under the name Caqueva).
It would be more reasonable to name the base Selvos (the name of the basin
itself) than for any branch of the river.

On the other hand, there are no less than seven towns named "Jaburu" in
Brazil; in the Acre, Alagoas, Amazonas, Bahia, Maranhão, Mato Grosso and
Pará provinces, respectively. The two likeliest are the ones in Amazonas
and Pará.

I like "Diablo" because it is both a good phonetic match and evokes the
popular image of the Amazon jungle as a Godforsaken part of the world, as
exemplified by such neighbors as the infamous Île du Diable to the north....

-Z-