Su, Rodrick (rsu@tigana.com)
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 10:20:38 -0700

In Real Life(tm) running out of ammo is actually a pretty big problem for
interception/escort fighters. One Russian Ace in W.W.II even develop an
tactic to be use only after you ran out of ammo, you deliberately slam your
plane into the enemy, and eject. The inventor actually did that several
times (you have to survive in order to teach it to the other pilots).
Unlike Kamakaze, the tactic is designed for the pilot to survive. This
technique basically died out with the advent of jet engine. Though there
was a recorded incident involving this technique in Korean war.