Richie Ramos (gaijin@i-manila.com.ph)
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 18:21:07 +0800

>Oh. That sounds more like overloaded or something. But, really, why would
>you send a monsterous, expensive mech into battle with one machine gun and
>no extra clips? That's like pictures of F-5s I used to see that had two
>sidewinders and an internal gatling gun. Big whoop, maybe it knocks out
>three enemies but more likely it would kill one badguy and be nude in less
>than 5 minutes of fighting. If they go to the trouble of designing a large
>scale machine gun for the mech they should at the least load it up with 5
>or 10 extra clips. How many rounds in a clip? Sounds like they were under
>loaded in the original series to me. That used to bother the shit out of
>me when I watched Robotech as a kid, the main machine gun for the Veritechs
>were supposed to only hold 200 rounds of ammo. What good is that? A couple
>brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp, brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrps and the thing is empty.
>Alfred.

        Yes, exactly! A normal zaku will have that machine gun and maybe an extra
drumclip, but that's it. I would load a zaku with a machine gun, a
bazooka, another bazooka mounted on the right binder, an extra clip for the
gun, a heat axe, and maybe some missile pods on the legs...that would look
overdressed, but at least it wouldn't be lacking in weaponry.
        That's always been my beef with some designs, the fact that weapons wise
they are really worse off. The Geara Doga and the Kampfer are good ideas
for MS's carrying enough weaponry. Another complaint would be the lack of
backup concealed weaponry...which i think is a good way to take care of
certain situations.
        Of course, there is the argument of having lightly armed but fast mechs
who can dodge and weave and then use their specialized weapons to knock out
the enemy, but then, I would consider that more for special operations
rather than actual combat MS's.

"Magic is the hand of faith..."

Richard Ramos
Svengali, Artificer and Spellcrafter