-Z- (Z@Gundam.Com)
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 19:24:00 -0700

At 22:12 7/27/1999 -0800, you wrote:
>2) Is it just me or does the Kampfer looks like a patlabor mecha,
>namely the Helldiver?

The mecha designer was Yutaka Izubuchi, who managed to make the MA-04X
Zakrello look menacing and realistic in MS Era, mention of which sparked
the recent MS redesign contest. His best work for 0080 was MAM-03/C Hygog,
creating one bad motor scooter out of what had once been a true cartoon of
a mecha.

The MS-18E Kmpfer is so Patlaborish because it alone had no forebear in
the Gundam MS development continuity. Being completely original in one
regard, it ends up being less original than it perhaps should've been.

Had the makes of 0080 not been so bent on establishing the Zeon-as-Nazi
trope, the MS-18E might've been named "Gryphon".... (^_^);

(And, had 0080 been more Patlaborish in plot as well as design, Al would've
ended up piloting the MS-18E against the "nice lady" in the Gundam NT-1!)

>3) Where does the German helmet of Zaku FZ appears? I didn't really
>notice it in the anime. Or is it something from the model only?

The "German helmet" is the Command version of the Zaku FZ -- instead of an
antenna, the Command unit gets a neck flange that could conceivable contain
a coil-type antenna or other circuitry. Neither Bernie nor the wingman who
comes to pick him up merited such, so if it does appear in the anime it'd
have to be in one of the mle scenes.

>4) Does Zaku have the capability to hover like a Dom Troupe? Bernie's
>FZ did in its' battle with Alex. I remember seeing the Africa Corp
>Zaku in 0083 as well the 08MST Zaku doing the hovering thing as well.

No, the Zaku FZ has no hover capability. It can do what it does because of
where it is, not how it's equipped.

Both the Zaku FZ and the Gundam NT-1 do the "roller skate" thing across the
"sky" panel of the Libot colony. This is an expanse of quartz glass
blocks, 32 km long and 3.2 km wide, that's as slick as, well, glass. The
MS didn't need to hover; they could "ice skate" in this case, using their
backpacks or even just the colony's own rotation (which givees the
antispinward side of the sky panel a permanent "downhill slope" with a 10%
gradient) for forward thrust.

-Z-