Fri, 23 Jul 1999 12:03:14 -0400 (EDT)

On 23 Jul 1999 dyna_soar@usa.net wrote:
> I'm not a lawyer or an economist, I'm just an engineer, and I really don't
> know how Bandai could stop HLJ or R10 from selling kits to private citizens
> outside Japan. On the other hand, if Bandai would sell his kits directly to
> customers in the States (or wherever you like), then it could stop doing it in
> the moment it had an exclusive import contract with a U.S. distributor.

This is a very good point, Bandai can and do refuse to sell kits to Rising
Sun. That's standard practice, we often have to deal with Canadian
distributors when the US manufacturers refuse to export to us directly.
In fact, I am sure there's a clause in the distribution deal that says
Bandai Japan will not directly export goods to any other retailers or
individuals.

> Anyway, even if Gundam kits were distributed in the USA with english
> istructions, why should Bandai stop HLJ or R10? I think that the percentage of
> people buying them direcly in Japan through e-commerce would be very small
> compared to the rest and probably not worth a legal action against HLJ or
> R10.

Well there's no legal basis to go after HLJ and R10, the contract is
between Bandai Japan, Bandai USA and the US distributors. But there's
a non-legal way to go after HLJ and R10, stop selling kits to HLJ and R10
until they stop e-export. Unless HLJ and R10 are giants in the domestic
retail business, Bandai will win hands down. These kind of tricks have
been in practice for hundreds if not a thousand years, but I think Coca
Cola perfected it.

Unfortunately the 90s' model of success is to go after the little guys.

CHIN, Chien Ting
... o O *
Man is a bubble